Saturday, September 1, 2012

#50: Encounter with Evil Labong

Dinner last night was a failure because of the bamboo shoots I bought from SaveMore. I asked the attendant if it was fresh and if the yellowish color is not food coloring. Too lazy to walk to the nearby wet market, I just took his word for it.

Haist! I soaked it in water, drained it, soaked it again, drained it again, squeezed it with a handful of salt, then rinsed again then boiled it in salted water. I probably drained whatever nutrients are left in that sorry bag of bamboo shoots. I cooked it the same day I bought it. Made it into what I believe is a pretty good adobo. But what's that? Has some goat peed in our kitchen? 

Apparently, the torture I gave the bamboo shoots wasn't enough to make it smell decent. I sincerely thought it was tasty despite the pungent smell. So I served my Adobong Labong to my dubious family, which quickly became a disapponted (and disgusted) bunch. It just smelled nasty for them.

So lesson learned: NEVER BUY BAMBOO SHOOTS (or any fresh item for the matter) THAT ARE NOT FRESH.  It's evil. Also, don't buy produce from SaveMore. I have had enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment