Saturday, July 30, 2011

#44: Cream of Celery Soup

30In the past entries, I have shared soup recipes like Leek and Broccoli Soup and the Pumpkin Bisque. This time, I'm delighted to introduce you to another creamy soup that is both hearty and refreshing for the palate because of featured ingredient: celery. I know some people are not fond of the flavors from this family of vegetables. Cilantro, parsley, along with celery just taste too much like freshly cut grass for some. But this soup will give this vegetable a new face and will easily become a family favorite. Gone are the days when you can only use it in pansit or chopsuey. You kids will not notice that they are gulping a good serving of celery in each serving. 

I tried to do that "heart-shaped sauce" trick  move but  I think
I failed to make it look like a heart but more like a guppy.
Cream of Celery Soup
Sosy Level: 4
Pawis Level: 3
Featured Ingredient: Celery 

Ingredients:
2 tbsps butter
3 cloves garlic minced
1 large onion chopped
2 medium potatoes chopped into small pieces
1/2 tbsp salt
pepper to taste

1 big bunch of celery, leaves and stalk chopped into small pieces
6 cups chicken broth
2 tbsps powdered milk dissolved in 1/3 cup water
3 tbsbps cream (optional or for garnish)


How to: 
1. In a deep saucepan or soup pot, melt the butter in medium high heat. Saute onions until slightly translucent. Add the garlic and saute for 2 minutes.
2. Add the potatoes, salt and pepper. Turn heat to medium low and cook covered for 5 minutes or until the potatoes have softened.
3. Add the celery and turn the heat to medium high. Saute for 2 minutes or until celery is fragrant and has softened a little. Add the broth and bring to a boil. Simmer for 2 minutes then turn heat off.
4. Ladle out the vegetables into the blender pitcher and puree the vegetables until smooth. Pour the pureed vegetables back into the broth in the pot. Mix until thoroughly incorporated.
5. In the same pitcher, pour the milk and give it a whiz. Pour the milk in the pot, making  sure you get all the sticky puree in the pitcher and add it back to the soup. add some cream if you like. Stir the soup thoroughly then check the seasoning. Turn on the stove again to heat the soup through. Serve hot with a stick of celery and a dollop of cream for a dash of showmanship. ;-D


By this time, you have enough good ole', home-cooked cream soups under your belt.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this post, I have been thinking of possible soup that my kids would love.
    I am a fan of Tom-Yum soup, and its not for kids.
    I am now preparing ingredients to do this for my kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My pleasure Bernie! I hope the soup turned out well. I am a soup-lover so if you'll notice, I have a handful of recipes here in my blog. Maybe your kids will like them too. :-)

    ReplyDelete