Saturday, July 2, 2011

#42:The Good the Bad and the Ugly

The Good:
Any special breakfast that I spend with my husband is bound to be good. I received a Flapjacks coupon for a chocolate pancake because I stuffed myself with 2 breakfasts' worth of pancakes the 3 days before. Since I love special serene breakfasts, I invited my husband to share it with me with bottomless coffee, coffee, coffee... aaah!


So flapjacks had this Halloween promo wherein they served chocolate pancakes. I thought it will be blah, after all it's free. But you see the syrupy chocolate on top of my pancakes? That was really good! It's rich and creamy and it has none of those cheap, oily-tasting chocolate syrup that you get from sundaes from fast-foods. This one that they got is the real, dark, melted chocolate ganache type. And the pancakes were fine as well, not too sweet and it blended with the creaminess of the whipped butter (after all, butter goes well with ANYTHING!). 


Their bottomless coffee was a bit bland though. Good thing my husband was there to make me forget that the coffee was not remarkable. The conversation was good enough, indeed.


Now for what happened 3 days earlier...



The Bad:
One beautiful morning while I was still pregnant with Harana, I had a breakfast date with one of my favorite friends. I was kind of swimming in a pool of preggy hormones that drove me to the brink of crazy so I thought I deserved to gorge on 3 large pieces of pancake from Flapjacks. You'll know that I was not my usual self because I chose to spend more than I would usually allow myself. I got the the one with Banana and Walnut. It was very good! In fact, too sugary-sinfully good. It's like an angel (fluffy pancakes smothered in caramel syrup with the play of textures and flavors from the banana and walnut)... of darkness (because it is not necessarily the healthier breakfast choices one can have). It was only after I'm halfway done when I realized that the serving was way too much for me or for anyone, for that matter. Also I realized that paying almost P120 more was too much for the few slices of banana, a sprinkling of walnuts and some sugary caramel syrup on my pancakes. 

But to be fair, if you just spent the whole night speaking in English trying to explain calmly to an irate client how to properly use some simple software, then this is a welcome reward. Just don't do this everyday or you'll be on your way to diabetes. I should know because I only did it once, coincidentally, just before I went to visit a laboratory for a medical exam. It turned out that I had too much sugar in my blood that day. I was sentenced to undergo a 3-hour glucose tolerance exam which entails not eating the whole night, drinking an ugly sweet liquid the next morning, and having them stick a needle in you to extract blood 3 times in 3 hours. I almost blew my chance to avail of the life insurance I wanted to invest in. So beware of this wolf in sheep's clothing! 


The Ugly:
Need I say more? If you are going to eat sugar anyway, do it decently.
Thanks to my brother Lou who captured this
horrible moment in dessert history.

2 comments:

  1. Hahaha. I rememrber yaang crayon box like donuts na yan. Made with REAL Artificial TRUE Coloring. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ang sarap nung pancake. Maalala ko tuloy yung french toas ni mommy. Tapos may topping na vanilla ice cream tsaka maple. Yummmm.

    ReplyDelete