Saturday, May 14, 2011

#37: Leek and Broccoli Soup

I love soups! I think I said that before in my Pumpkin Bisque recipe. I am always thrilled at the prospect of a meal starting off with a warm hearty bowl. Actually, sometimes, a big bowl of soup and a buttered toast can comprise a satisfying dinner for me. (I think I said that before too). So before I become redundant, I'll share with you a soup that I tasted from one of my marriage-and-life-in-general mentor Joanna Cheock. She and her husband Kuya Hubert invited us over for lunch and served Broccoli and Leek soup with Kuya Hubert's juicy lamb steak and shrimp and mango salad. I remember eating twice my weight that day.


What amazed me was how tasty it was even if the soup was not made from any meat broth. This proves that meals can be totally vegetarian and totally tasty too! A small bunch of broccoli will do for this recipe because this soup uses up the flowers and stems - everything! The potatoes create its creamy texture but the leeks give this soup the umph. 



Leek and Broccoli Soup
Sosy level: 5
Pawis level: 3
Featured Ingredient: Leeks


Ingredients:
3 tbsps oil (or a combination of 2 tbsps butter & 1tbsp olive oil, or either one of these oils)
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 medium onion, chopped 
1/2 tsp minced ginger
2 medium potatoes, chopped
2 cups of broccoli flowers and stems (just make sure you peel the tough outer layer of the stem)
2 stalks of leeks, roots removed, washed and sliced thinly, set a pinch aside for garnishing
4 cups of broth or water
3 tbsps powdered milk diluted in 1/3 cup water OR 1/3 cup evaporated milk
2 tbsps cream (optional)
salt and pepper to taste


How to:
1. Heat a soup pot then add the oils. Saute onions and then after a minute, add the garlic. After 1 minute, add the ginger and saute for 2 minutes more.
2. Add the potatoes to the pot. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Add the broccoli and cook covered for 2 minutes.
4. Add the leeks and stir in. Let it wilt and cook for 3 more minutes.
5. Add the broth or water and bring to a boil. Then bring down the heat to let it go to a gentle simmer. Season with salt and pepper. Simmer for 5 minutes.
6. Turn off heat and strain the broth to a separate container. Set aside. Transfer the vegetables to a blender with some broth and puree. Pour the puree back into the soup pot.
7. Pour the milk in the blender along with the rest of the broth and give it a few whiz to get all those sticking to the blender. Pour this into the pot with puree.
8. Turn on heat to medium and heat through while mixing continuously. Add the cream at this point if you like cream. Check seasoning. (Delicious huh? ;-) Add more salt or pepper according to taste. Just add your seasoning a little at a time okay? 


You soup is now ready to be enjoyed. Serve it as a starter or as a light dinner with salad or sandwich. And hey, don't forget the garnish! *fwing!* There you go. What a beauty!

No comments:

Post a Comment