Wednesday, August 18, 2010

2: Disclaimer: What I Am Not and What I Am

Firstly, I am not a culinary arts graduate. I earned my chef-ness in the confines of my own home. But tell you what, I loooooooove food and there's nothing like (shooot! I think the chili con carne I'm stewing is starting to burn it's bottom! *gasp*) Tsk, tsk. See? I'm human.


Secondly, I love food tripping but I have not food tripped extensively because I am not your typical yuppie with lots of cash to burn. I am a striving/starving artist/ entrepreneur who also turned into a wife and mom. Going to all sorts of casual or even fine dining places is difficult to prioritize in my state. But that has an advantage because if some wealthier friend thought of bringing me to a new exciting food place, I am able to appreciate the food better. Ganun kapag patay-gutom di ba? Lahat masarap? Hahahaha! 

Thirdly, in light of my lack, I am forced to satisfy my cravings by cooking them myself. But then, because my household is not the type that has salmon, veal, blocks of feta cheese and cranberry juice in the fridge, I am able to whip up restaurant level meals using ingredients that are as  simple as chicken, garlic and ginger (and I'm not talking about tinola ok?) I come from the Cheap Household Gourmet discipline. If fancy ingredients are hard to come by at home, we'll be friends. Let me just give you a tip. BUY SPICES. A bottle of dried spice that may actually last for more than a year can only cost you from 30 to 55 pesos. You know what, I'm so cheap, I even find it hard to but a 65-peso bottle of spice, hahaha. So you see friend, you're in good hands. I will share some of my feats here every now and then.


Bow. That's my culinary profile. How about you? Introduce yourself! :-D


(Oh the chili? Turned out ok, just a bit... smokey, hahahaha! I served it with sour cream (meaning 1/4 cup all purpose cream and 1/2 tsp vinegar) and grated cheese. Yummy!)



3 comments:

  1. I'm so excited to hear your Cheap Household Gourmet recipes! Hehe. Will try them out too

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oohh the chili with home made sour cream sounds good! I also devour whatever is chicken, garlic and ginger (and not just tinola). so stop introducing yourself and post some recipes already! hahaha! miss you anne! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahahaha! Okay, okay, demanding... :-D
    Hope to see you soon Charis!

    ReplyDelete