Thursday, October 21, 2010

#18: A Banoffee Pie and 10 Books

A very good friend took me out a month ago because my system was aching for non-Anne cooked food.. or to be more specific, pastry. Or anything with cream and caramel! Help!


So the sky took pity on me and caused a friend to take me to Banapple in Il Terrazo in Tomas Morato. It is such a cozy place with light, flowing curtains, soft lighting, homy decor and warm , happy colors. 
Thanks to banapple for their picture!
Their tables are very nice, too! It is made of marbles stuck in clay or cement then let dry, as seen on this picture on the left. It feels ticklish in my palms. It makes the plates wobbly though but I really did not mind it much. :-D



We split a serving of their rolled lasagna then we got ourselves a slice of Banoffee Pie. It is made with a buttery, with a hint of nut graham crust, then filled with bananas that took a long satisfying dip in caramel sauce (oh yeah....). Then on top is slightly sweetened whipped cream (which I suspect has a bit of gelatin to hold it's shape). Then sprinkled with chocolate shavings and chocolate sauce.



But you know what? The pie didn't turn out to be seizure-inducingly sweet. In fact, it was marvelously balanced. It had the slightly salty-sweet from the crust, fruitiness from the bananas, a rich buttery, creamy sweetness from the caramel (which is not very sweet at all), the slight bitterness from the chocolate shavings and the sauce. All the texture that you're looking for is there as well: the grittiness of the crust, the soft frutiy bite of the bananas, the rich thickness of the caramel and the lightness of the cream. 

It was so good that we were a bit woozy with pleasure after.So para magpababa ng tama, we went to its neighbor, OMF Literature to browse. They have a fantastic line-up of fresh, hot and very good books. You may want to check them out. Because of that visit to the bookshop, I came up with a wishlist of the 10 books my friend Skye and I'd love to have (or receive, wink wink) for this season:
1. Sanity Secrets for Stressed-Out Women by Sue Augustine
2. Emilie's Creative Home Organizer OR More Hours in my Day by Emilie Barnes
3. Captivating - _____ Eldregde
4. Organizing Your Day: Time Management Techniques That Will WOrk for You by Sandra Felton
5. The Message Bible Remix
6. Soul Cravings by _____ MacManus
7. NLT Bible Pocket Thinline, TuTone light colored
8. The One Year Daily Grind by Sarah Arthur
9. Love Dare by ______ Kendrick
10. Dug Down Deep by Joshua Harris


I'm sated, both gastronomically and mentally. I am thrilled to create my own version (or imitation) of the Banapple Pie I ate that afternoon. That will be my next entry! Yehey! This is going to be exciting! 

No comments:

Post a Comment